Fried Calamari Recipe
Calamari is one of the mouth-watering “pulutan” that you can order at almost every bar in the Philippines. This calamari recipe is sure to be a party hit.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Deep fried
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 2 1⁄4 lbs medium sized squid
- 2 pieces eggs
- 1 cup plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup oil
- 30 ml fresh lime juice (calamansi juice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Pull the head of the squid including internal parts and tentacles. Remove the beak and gladius (pen).
- Cut the head and the ink sack from the tentacles. Set aside.
- Peel the spotted outer membrane from the squid and discard.
- Wash it well. Drain and cut the body into rings.
- Combine squid, salt, and ground black pepper and mix it well.
- Heat cooking pan and the pour-in the cooking oil.
- Dredge the squid in flour then dip in beaten egg and roll over breadcrumbs.
- When the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the Calamares until it turns golden brown.
- Remove, drain on a wire rack set over baking sheet.
- Serve with spicy vinegar.
See this video for another recipe of fried calamares.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 390
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 119mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 532mg
Keywords: deep fried squid, battered squid rings