The Filipino Chicken Barbecue has always been a favorite, the main item in everyday meals, special event, in every Fiesta, outing or Birthday celebration. Chicken Barbecue, Traditionally it served on a stick Barbecue that can be bought from the simplest sidewalk stalls to the most pretentious restaurant.
The appeal of food cooked in the open air never vanishes. For unprepared meals or large gatherings, the Barbecue has no matches when it comes to preparing fast, flavorsome and nutritious meals.
- 1-Kilo Chicken Wings or Thighs/others cut into small pieces
- bamboo barbecue sticks
- ½ cup banana ketchup
- ½ cup vinegar or lemon juice (or calamansi juice)
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium-size red onion, minced
- 2 pcs bird's eye chili or siling labuyo, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Soak the barbecue sticks in water for half an hour and set aside.
- Prepare the ingredients for the marinade. Mix together the vinegar, garlic, onion, chilies, salt, ketchup and pepper.
- Mix very well and marinade the chicken pieces for about 1 to 3 hours.
- Drain the chicken after marinating and set aside the marinade mixture for basting.
- Skewer the chicken pieces with barbecue sticks, two pieces on each stick is preferable.
- Prepare the charcoal grill for grilling the chicken and grill them over hot charcoals turning on each side until every side of the chicken is cooked.
- Wait for the skin to become reddish then baste it with the marinade on each side.
- Do the basting of the marinade again if the chicken becomes dry until it is fully cooked.
Chicken Barbecue Preparation Tips
Preparing Chicken Barbecue, first before cooking, the Chicken should be marinated. The various flavors permeate the flesh and the acid content such as lemon juice, wine or vinegar increase its tenderness.
Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, minced garlic, calamansi juice, ground pepper, sugar, banana ketchup, and soda. Mix them well and keep in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or for some overnight. The favorite parts of the chicken for the barbecue are the thighs, breast, wings and drumsticks.
Soak wooden skewers in the water for 30 minutes to 1 hour to prevent them burning under the grill. Thread a piece or two of chicken into each skewer. The pieces should touch but do not press them together. Place the skewer on the grill rack and grill until marks are clear on the underside. Turn the skewers over and continue grilling until the chicken is browned on all sides and firm to the touch. Brush chicken with the sauce, turning occasionally and brushing with more sauce until chicken juices run clear when pricked with the tip of a knife.
The key to avoiding burned Barbecue Chicken is to wait until the chicken is about half done before brushing it with the sauce.
To serve the Chicken Barbecue, transfer the skewers to a platter. Put the sauce into a shallow serving bowl and serve alongside.or prepare soy sauce and vinegar mixture with chili for delicious dipping and spiciness
Ideas and Suggestions to improve this recipe are much appreciated. Just comment below. Also, don’t forget to like our Facebook Page for more Free Filipino Recipes. Search “Pilipinas Recipes” on Facebook or simply click this LINK. Thank You!