The thing about cakes is that whether it is old-fashioned or very modern, people still enjoy it for its exciting flavor, soft texture and celebratory vibe. But even for just a simple afternoon snack, any cake fits the occasion. This Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe is never far behind for this.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is very pretty once it is presented on the table. It makes you want to not slice into it and ruin the presentation, but you have to. The Pineapples are beautifully glazed and caramelized with the cherries in each of their ring gaps. The cake has a unique texture and flavor because of the syrup from the Pineapples running down and seeping through it.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
As the name says, pineapple upside-down cake is turned upside-down once it is ready. Doing this is very simple. All you have to do is start by arranging the pineapples at the bottom of the baking pan and then pour the cake batter over it.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 9 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: International
For the Glaze and Topping:
- ¼ cup of melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- 7 pineapple rings
- 7 cherries
For the Cake Mix:
- 1¾ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ cup of softened butter
- ¾ cup of white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of pineapple juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Now put the melted butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until a smooth and silky mixture forms.
- Place it into the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan and smooth it out evenly using a spatula.
- Place the pineapple rings over it and the cherries into the center of the rings.
- Put the softened butter and white sugar into a separate mixing bowl and whisk them together.
- Add in the eggs and whisk. Pour in pineapple juice and whisk until combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk once again until well combined and the batter is lump free. You can use electric mixer if you like.
- Pour the batter over the pineapple rings and smooth it out with a spatula. Place it on a baking tray.
- Put it in the oven and allow it to bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. ( i baked mine 55 minutes)
- Using a sharp knife cut around the edges of the cake pan to ensure it doesn’t stick. Place a plate over the top and flip it over. Give it a few taps and remove the cake pan.
Please Watch this Video about Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Serving Size: 100 g
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 50 g
- Sodium: 320 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 22 mg
Keywords: easy, Christmas cake, holiday cake, upside-down cake, traditional
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Preparation Tips
As the name says, pineapple upside-down cake is turned upside-down once it is ready. Doing this is very simple. All you have to do is start by arranging the pineapples at the bottom of the baking pan and then pour the cake batter over it. The pan should be lined with butter and brown sugar to caramelize the pineapples. The Pineapples should be cut into rings and arranged so that its center is filled with a Cherry. Most people like using rectangular pans instead of round ones to lay the Pineapples more evenly and neatly at the bottom. For the cake, a regular Vanilla cake is okay to use since the flavors will be mixed with the Pineapples. The cake should be free from air-holes to ensure the pineapples and cherries will attach to the cake. This is baked in a pre-heated pan and you’ll know it is done when you stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. The finished cake is inverted when ready to serve.
People try to add a little bit of variation on the cake like adding a gelatin layer on top of the pineapples and cherries or using a different cake batter flavor. However, even with the growing demand for decorative and innovative cakes, some people still enjoy the traditional and homely Pineapple upside down cake. Personally, the mixture of Pineapples, Cherry, and the vanilla cake all in one bite creates a delightful experience.