Here is an easy sugar cookie recipe that is perfect for making cut-out cookies and a few decorating ideas that is Christmas themed. Make sure you have allotted enough time and counter space to make these cookies because they will sure take up space. For the decoration we will use buttercream frosting that quickly hardens after a few hours.
If you are looking to bake just the sugar cookies with no decors, try our traditional sugar cookie recipe. We also have chewy chocolate chip cookie and if you want gluten free cookies try our arrowroot cookies.
Christmas themed cookies are fun and it is served usually with milk. Be creative and have fun decorating with this tasty buttercream frosting.Print
Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe
Christmas themed cookies are fun and it is served usually with milk. Be creative and have fun decorating with this tasty buttercream frosting.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 20 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
For the sugar cookies
- 3/4 cup or 170 g of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup or 150 g of granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 and 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
For the buttercream frosting
- 5 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla flavor
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- food coloring for decoration
- Start off by creaming together the unsalted butter and sugar using an electric mixer.
- Add the egg, vanilla flavor and almond extract. Almond extract is optional but it helps with the flavor.
- Beat on high until it is smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add it gradually on the mixture and beat on low and then adjust to medium until fully combined. If the dough seems too soft, you can add 1 tbsp of flour or more until it is better consistency for rolling.
- Get half part of the dough and roll it on a parchment paper. Sprinkle the surface with flour so that it will not stick. Do this with the rest of the dough.
- Chill for 2 hours. (You can do the rolling after chilling the dough. Just wrap it tightly on a plastic or cling wrap.)
- The dough is now ready. Use your favorite cookie cutter to shape the dough. And lay it on an ungreased cookie sheet or use parchment paper. Re- roll the rest of the dough until all is used.
- In a pre-heated oven, bake the cookies at 150 degrees Celsius for 8-10 minutes.
- Beat together powdered sugar, softened unsalted butter, heavy cream and vanilla flavoring.
- Beat on high until you get a smooth and stiff frosting.
- You can now add food coloring to decorate your cookies.
- Wait for a few hours for the frosting to harden completely and then enjoy the cookies.
Decorate the cookies the way you like. I use squeeze bottles for the decorations.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 38.3g
- Sodium: 40mg
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated Fat: 10.3g
- Carbohydrates: 48.8g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
Keywords: holiday cookies, Christmas treats, desserts and snacks, cut-out cookies, shortbread cookies, quick and easy
Great idea for christmas dinner!
[…] salad is usually dressed with all purpose cream. But since I have excess whipping cream from the decorated sugar cookies I made, I decided to try it and add cream cheese in the ingredients to make the whipped cream […]