Tocino is a favorite meal in our home. I love it because of its sweet and salty taste. Although it is commonly paired with fried garlic rice, I like mine served with steamed rice, tomatoes and vinegar dipping. Tocino is easy to cook once you have gone through its preparation.
Pampanga is famous for their tocino. They have their own special recipe for it. Tocino is bacon in Spanish that is made from pork belly but the Filipino tocino is made from pork belly meat that is thinly sliced and then undergoes a curing process that takes up to 3 days.
Most of the time, tocino is made of pork, but it can also be a chicken tocino. It is commonly served at breakfast and paired with fried rice and egg. We call it ‘tosilog‘ which means tocino, sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg). Check out our garlic fried rice and yang chow fried rice recipe for your ‘silog‘ pairings.Print
Most of the time, tocino is made of pork, but it can also be a chicken tocino. It is commonly served at breakfast and paired with fried rice and egg. We call it ‘tosilog‘ which means tocino, sinangag (fried rice) and itlog (egg).
- Prep Time: 3 days
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 72 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 peopla 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 1 kg. pork loin, belly, or shoulder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. table salt
- ½ cup ordinary vinegar
- ½ – 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. natural food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoons finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of pineapple juice (optional)
- Slice the meat thinly. 1/4 inch (0.6 cm)-thick slices or 1/8 inch (0.3 cm)-thick pieces if you want it to be extra thin. Make sure to remove all bones.
- In a big bowl, combine all ingredients except for the pork slices. Mix until well blended. Instead of the food coloring, you can use a teaspoon of red beet powder if you’d like.
- Add the pork and mix using the hand, use hand gloves to avoid stains. Mix for several minutes to an hour.
- Place the pork in a zip-seal bag or a closed plastic container and place it in the fridge for three days to ensure that the pork is fully cured.
- Afterwards, you can fry the cured meat with a little bit of oil or boil in water (just enough to cover the meat). You can serve it with fried eggs and fried rice.
See this video for the kapampangan recipe of pork tocino. (Video is not ours)
- Serving Size: 6g
- Calories: 325kcal
- Sugar: 27g
- Sodium: 2197mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 34g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
Keywords: sweet cured meat, traditional, cured pork, marinated pork belly
[…] The Mr. Coffee DRX5-RB is a 4-cup programmable coffee maker. You can set it ahead of time with their Delay Brew feature. This is great if you are the type who wants to wake up to the enticing aroma of a fresh pot. It also has a Grab-A-Cup Auto Pause feature which let’s you snag a cup while it’s brewing. It turns off automatically after an hour so no worries if you forget. It brews fast and quietly and will last for a long while which saves you time and money in the long run. It has an indicator light letting you aware if the machine is on. It has a removable filter basket for easy cleaning. But for the paper filters, it is suggested to use an 8-12 cup filter for a perfect fit. You can also keep the excess cord in its own cord storage to keep your counter neat. It is small so it will not take a lot of space. The only downside is it can only make 2 actual cups of coffee or 1.25 mugs if bigger and the filter compartment do not close securely sometimes, so you have to make sure that it snaps hard. All in all, it brings a rich coffee experience that is perfect with your breakfast meals. […]