Sinigang is the popular sour broth dish from the Philippines but did you know that Kapampangans also make a sour broth dish in a completely different way? This dish is what they call Bulanglang Kapampangan which is similar to Sinigang and not to be mistaken with the Pinakbet of Ilocos. Another variation is the version from the province of Batangas. Unlike the Kapampangan variation that make use of guava leaves and fish or pork, this variation from Batangas consists only of vegetables. If you know someone who loves vegetables or is a vegetarian, they will surely love this quick and easy Bulanglang Recipe. It is the perfect dish to cook when it’s a bit cold or someone’s feeling under the weather because it can be considered as a comfort food.
Bulanglang is probably the healthiest Filipino soup. You can add more vegetables if you want like eggplant, kangkong, sigarillas, or even beans. It has mild and simple taste that comes from boiling the vegetable together.
Bulanglang recipe is quick and easy to prepare. It is a healthy meal which consists of different types of vegetables.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 1 piece small Green Papaya – sliced
- 2 cups calabaza squash – sliced
- 1 cup loofah patola, – sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes – sliced
- 5 pieces small Okra
- 1 cup malunggay – moringa leaves
- 5 cloves garlic – lightly crushed
- 1 small ginger chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups rice wash
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in rice washing. Let boil.
- Add garlic and ginger. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add papaya and calabaza squash. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, okra, and loofah. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add malunggay and salt. Stir. Turn the heat off.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve while hot.
Watch this short video of how to cook Bulanglang.
- Serving Size: 241 g
- Calories: 97 Cal
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 784 msg
- Fat: .7g
- Saturated Fat: .2g
- Carbohydrates: 14.9g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 14 mg
Keywords: quick and easy, vegetarian, vegetable soup, sour broth soup, comfort food
Try this Bulanglang Recipe and let us know what you think!