Gambas is the Spanish word for shrimp it is a popular appetizer in Spain and is served in bars. After the colonial period of Spain in the Philippines the Gambas recipe is one of the foods that Filipino people inherited aside from arroz, bringhe and valenciana.
Spain brought more than Catholicism to the Philippines, it also brought food and culture. The influence of Spanish culture on local pinoy cuisine is very evident during feasts, especially at Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
Gambas is shrimp sauteed in olive oil, garlic and butter. The shrimp, garlic and salt gives flavor to the oil. This seafood gambas recipe has lots of variations like gambas al ajillo which is also shrimp sauteed in garlic, gambas with tomato sauce which gives shrimp sour taste and sizzling gambas that is served to a sizzling plate and topped with bell pepper and egg.
How To Cook Gambas Filipino StylePrint
Gambas Recipe (Sizzling Shrimp Platter)
This sizzling shrimp platter is a delicious seafood appetizer that everyone can enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 kilo shrimp
- 6 garlic cloves
- ¹/4 cup calamansi juice
- parsley for garnish
- salt to taste
- In a shallow sauté pan over medium heat, warm the Olive Oil and the Butter.
- Add the Shrimp and Garlic cloves and sauté quickly for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the calamansi juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Transfer to a warmed serving plate and sprinkle with the parsley and serve at once.
Here is a video showing another way of cooking Gambas.
- Serving Size: 100 grams
- Calories: 99
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 111 mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0.2g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 189mg
Keywords: seafood, shrimp platter, sizzling
Quick Tips for Sizzling Shrimp
- Cooking with butter needs to be done on a low heat to prevent the butter from burning.
- When gambas is cooked you can serve it with pasta noodle and cook for another 3 minutes.
- The shelf life of sautéed shrimp in garlic is up to 2 days in room temperature