Siopao is a soft and fluffy filled bun that is a favorite in Filipino culture. It is a localized term coined after the Chinese dimsum called “bao-zi” . It literally means “steamed bun” which relates to how it is cooked although there is a baked variety. It is a popular snack sold mostly in Chinese restaurants and sidewalk vendors in the Philippines. Different varieties of siopao are based on the filling. There is asado filled siopao and bola-bola (meatballs). In this siopao pork asado recipe, we will learn how to prepare the filling and siopao dough and create that soft and white fluffy bun so that you can make your own siopao at home!
How to make siopao dough:
- Active Dry Yeast - 1tbsp
- Baking Powder - 1tbsp
- White Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Shortening - 3 tbsp
- White Sugar - ¼ cup
- All Purpose Flour - Cups
- Warm Water - 1 Cup
- Pour the yeast and 1 tbsp white suger in the warm water.
- Stir well and let stand for 5 minutes until yeast activates. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, ¼ cup sugar and yeast mixture. Mix. Add baking powder and shortening.
- Mix until dough is formed.
- On a flat surface, sprinkle flour and transfer the dough. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft.
- Form into a ball and cover with oil. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside and wait until it rises.
- Remove wrap and punch down.
- On a floured surface, roll and cut into half then slice into pieces.
- Flatten into 5 inches circle leaving a bulge in the middle of the dough.
- Add pork asado filling and seal/enclose the flattened dough.
- Place siopao in the steamer and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Oyster sauce can be use as sauce.
Watch: Step by step video for Siopao Pork Asado Recipe
How to make Siopao Pork Asado Filling:
- Cooking Oil - 2 tbsp
- Black Pepper - 1 tbsp ground
- Star Anise - 2 pcs
- Corn Starch - 3 tbsp
- Brown Sugar - 4 tbsp
- Oyster Sauce - 2 tbsp
- Soy Sauce - 4 tbsp
- Garlic - medium sized minced
- Onion - medium sized minced
- Ground Pork - ½ kg
- Pour pork broth/water in the corn starch and stir well. Set aside.
- Heat pan in medium heat. Add oil. Saute garlic and onion. Add ground pork and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, ground pepper, star anise, brown sugar and mix.
- Pour corn starch mixture and stir well.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Set aside and let cool down.
- Ready to fill your siopao.
Watch: Step by step video for Siopao Pork Asado Filling Recipe
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think!